[ubuntu-uk] Two things I wanted to ask about.....

Matthew Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 17:52:52 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 17:40 +0100, John wrote:
<snippy snip snip>

> Hi Neil,
>
> thank you for the links, they are really useful, I keep forgetting about
> those. I do already have those, and have looked through a few of them. I
> learnt how to add Root Nautilus Launcher to the panel, and a few other
> things as well. What I really need is to be shown how to use the
> terminal, different commands and things. For example, I have an orange
> dongle, and need to compile something in it and it says that I need to
> do it to file on my desktop, but first I need to cd to it. Well, for
> some reason, I just cant work out how to get it to work. Things like
> that, if you understand what I mean. Sorry for being so dense. :(
>
> John

Hi John,

In a couple of months, there will be an Ubuntu Global Jam, the places
have yet to be decided, but there will be a meeting on IRC to discuss
these things at some point. No doubt Daviey, our glorious leader, will
appear at the appropriate time with some more information :)

The reason I bring this up is that there will be a wealth of people who
are interested in problems like yours and looking at ways to help. If we
could get a few people together and sit down with you and jot down what
exactley are your needs/wants, maybe we could come up with a set of
screencasts or similar to help people in your situation? The people who
most need this kind of help are sometimes the less vocal in explaining
what help they need, so this would be of immense use. I intend to go to
this Jam, and would certainly be interested in your PoV, as I imagine
would be a few others.

Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from here? It may be a bit
daunting, but we don't bite, honest!

-Matt Daubney