[ubuntu-uk] Two things I wanted to ask about.....

John jakewc2 at sky.com
Wed Jun 24 17:40:58 BST 2009

Neil Greenwood wrote:
> 2009/6/23 Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com>:
>
>> On 23/06/09 21:05, Sean Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Problem with "learning Linux" is that there is really no such thing,
>>> Linux is merely a kernel and every distribution is different...
>>> obviously the core bash and command line utilities tend to be fairly
>>> consistent, though even then paths (for instance) vary wildly between
>>> distributions.
>>>
>> One other thing I forgot to recommend - and this is to *everyone* who
>> wants to know more about how Linux really works - is to try Linux From
>> Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/)
>>
>> It is basically a book with instructions and links to all the source
>> that explains how to build a complete Linux operating from scratch. It
>> is a brilliant learning tool. It should be on every school's teaching
>> plan...
>>

>> Al
>>

>> --
>> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>>

> Hi John,
>
> Try the Ubuntu Screencasts at http://screencasts.ubuntu.com
> and also Show Me Do at http://showmedo.com
>
> This second site has tutorials on lots more than just Linux/Ubuntu.
>
> HTH
> Cofion,
> Neil.

Hi Neil,

thank you for the links, they are really useful, I keep forgetting about
those. I do already have those, and have looked through a few of them. I
learnt how to add Root Nautilus Launcher to the panel, and a few other
things as well. What I really need is to be shown how to use the
terminal, different commands and things. For example, I have an orange
dongle, and need to compile something in it and it says that I need to
do it to file on my desktop, but first I need to cd to it. Well, for
some reason, I just cant work out how to get it to work. Things like
that, if you understand what I mean. Sorry for being so dense. :(

John