[ubuntu-uk] have to start gnome-panel manualy after upgrade to jaunty

thirstyh2o thirstyh2o at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 21:30:36 BST 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:00:42 +0100, Neil Greenwood wrote:

>>> Tried to run [gnome-panel &] but it still dies when I close the
>>> terminal.

Sorry, my bad. The above is definitely less then clear. Here is what I
meant to say.

I wanted to run the gnome-terminal process at the background, then close
all programs and restart the session.  Before doing this, I selected
"Automatically remember running application when logging out" in "Startup
Application" applet.

The idea was to "fix" the problem by forcing the system "remembering" its
state.

Well, all it "remembered" was the terminal being run, but not its child
process certainly. So, this did not work.

And BTW, ask me why I mentioned this at all? I do not know. :-)  Now, I
see that it just obscures the matter. Sorry, again.

> You could try creating a new user on the machine and see if that works.
> If so, try deleting/renaming the .gnome2 and .gnome2_private hidden
> directories in your home directory, then logging back in. This will lose
> any customisations you've made to Gnome, but should also get rid of the
> bad setting that is preventing the panel from running.

Well, I did not try creating a new user but I did tried deleting the
folders you suggest, and some others too. E.g. I tried deleting .conf
and .gconf too.

I did not helped.

So, for now, as I already mentioned, the problem is fixed by explicitly
entering gnome-panel in the list of Startup Applications applet.

This way I am happy Jaunty user (though I'm not really much excited by
it).

The only thing that bothers me is a question:"Why?  What's the heck is
wrong?".

The gnome-panel has been starting in Hardy, it started just fine after
intermediate upgrade to Intrepid and then all at a sudden it stopped
starting after, without this rather smooth, upgrade to Jaunty.