[ubuntu-uk] have to start gnome-panel manualy after upgrade to jaunty

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 21:00:42 BST 2009

2009/6/14 Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com>:
> 2009/6/13 thirstyh2o <thirstyh2o at gmail.com>:
>> Need your help folks,
>>
>> I upgraded my laptop from Hardy to Intrepid and then to Jaunty yesterday.
>>
>> The problem is that gnome-panel never starts upon boot. Executing
>> [killall -v gnome-panels] reports "no process killed".
>>
>> Tried to run [gnome-panel &] but it still dies when I close the terminal.
>> There are seemingly not helpful warnings produced in console:
>
> If you're running this command from a terminal then closing the
> terminal, it is expected behaviour for the gnome-panel process to be
> killed when the terminal process is killed.
>
> The gnome-panel process will receive a HUP (hangup) signal when the
> terminal process is killed. Running it in the background does not stop
> this signal from killing the gnome-panel process.
>
> Try running [nohup gnome-panel] or maybe [nohup gnome-panel &] - don't
> know if you need to put it in the background or not, I have a feeling
> that nohup might already do that.
>
> As you can maybe guess from my description above and the name of the
> command, nohup means that the child process ignores the HUP signal and
> keeps running. I think the details are slightly more complicated than
> that, but that's the gist of the command.
>
> HTH
>
> Cofion/Regards,
> Neil.

Sorry, I've just realised that that suggestion doesn't solve your problem!

You could try creating a new user on the machine and see if that
works. If so, try deleting/renaming the .gnome2 and .gnome2_private
hidden directories in your home directory, then logging back in. This
will lose any customisations you've made to Gnome, but should also get
rid of the bad setting that is preventing the panel from running.

Let us know if you have any more questions, or don't understand
something I've written or something that happens when you try these
instructions.

Cofion,
Neil.