[ubuntu-uk] have to start gnome-panel manualy after upgrade to jaunty

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 20:56:21 BST 2009

2009/6/13 thirstyh2o <thirstyh2o at gmail.com>:
> Need your help folks,
>
> I upgraded my laptop from Hardy to Intrepid and then to Jaunty yesterday.
>
> The problem is that gnome-panel never starts upon boot. Executing
> [killall -v gnome-panels] reports "no process killed".
>
> Tried to run [gnome-panel &] but it still dies when I close the terminal.
> There are seemingly not helpful warnings produced in console:

If you're running this command from a terminal then closing the
terminal, it is expected behaviour for the gnome-panel process to be
killed when the terminal process is killed.

The gnome-panel process will receive a HUP (hangup) signal when the
terminal process is killed. Running it in the background does not stop
this signal from killing the gnome-panel process.

Try running [nohup gnome-panel] or maybe [nohup gnome-panel &] - don't
know if you need to put it in the background or not, I have a feeling
that nohup might already do that.

As you can maybe guess from my description above and the name of the
command, nohup means that the child process ignores the HUP signal and
keeps running. I think the details are slightly more complicated than
that, but that's the gist of the command.

HTH

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.