[ubuntu-uk] Wireless Networking question: Ps3 or Xbox 360

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 00:00:09 BST 2009

William Anderson wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> javadayaz wrote:
>>
>>> I mean primarily to view stuff/media thats stored on the ubuntu pc!
>>> sorry should have made that a bit clearer
>>>
>> Yeah no problem.
>>
>> Well I don't have either console (I have an original XBOX, PS2 and
>> Wii).  I know the PS3 has Linux support and I'm pretty certain there is
>> a version of Ubuntu available (if I'm right it's the PowerPC version
>> that runs on the PS3) so you could run your media that way with
>> something like MythTV.  I'm not sure if the default operating system on
>>

> that's not really an easy way to do things :)
>

>> the PS3 (XMB is it?) can connect to Samba shares but I believe it does
>> support uPNP which I understand there are servers available for this on
>> Ubuntu, I've also read it supports Divx video files.
>>

> No, neither the PS3 or Xbox 360 can connect to smb shares.
>

>> With regards to the XBOX 360, I really don't know.  I know it can
>> connect to a Windows machine which is running Windows Media Centre and
>> play stuff from that, and I would assume it can play WMA/WMV files
>> (being Microsoft format files) but as far as connecting to a Samba share
>> or uPNP server I just don't know.  Doing a quick Google search pointed
>> to a post about someone running Windows XP Media Centre edition in
>> something like VirtualBox.
>>

> That's overkill, and expensive.  Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 can connect
> to any OS's or device's uPnP server to grab media from, e.g. XBMC/Plex,
> Connect360, TVersity, FUPPES, ushare, MediaTomb, etc.  If your uPnP
> server can transcode unsupported media, all the better (e.g. the 360
> won't be able to play things like mkv without some assistance), but both
> can do the basics.  For the fastest working system, but least out the
> box features, you can at least apt-get install ushare :)

I thought running through Virtualbox might be a bit overkill.  As I
mentioned, I don't have a PS3 or XBOX360 and I haven't used either
(although I am looking at getting an XBOX 360 Premium system in the near
future).
> So to answer the OP's question, both are pretty amenable to streaming
> media from an Ubuntu box, dependent on your choice of uPnP source.  The
> PS3 has WiFi built in, you'll need to purchase an Xbox 360 Wireless
> Adapter (retail cost £59.99), e.g. http://tinyurl.com/ldhexr

Bit pricey that is for a wireless adapter.  Does the Elite console come
with a wireless adapter?

I personally don't mind the lack of wireless as I have a switch right
near the TV for my existing PS2 and Media Centre PC but I can see how
for some putting cables in might not be an option (my other half
occasionally moans about the rats nest of cables behind our TV).
> I'd say your other requirements will come into play as to which one you
> should buy, e.g. cost, joypad comfortability, onboard storage space,
> available games, types of games[1], bluray capability, etc.  Both
> consoles have their strengths and weaknesses (tho I prefer the 360 at
> the moment), so choose wisely :)

I was leaning towards a PS3 mainly for the Bluray capabilities and the
Linux support but considering they aren't dropping the price yet (I was
hoping for an announcement of a price cut at E3) then I've decided to
get an XBOX 360 instead.  There are one or two games that I am
interested in with a couple of XBOX exclusives (that Alan Wake game
looks good).  I think as far as Bluray is concerned for now I'll just
fork out for a Bluray drive (I've seen a BD-ROM drive for about £50
retail boxed with software) which will pretty much cover my HD movie
playback needs until eventually I can afford a PS3.

Does ushare support transcoding of media on the fly?

Rob