[ubuntu-uk] Creative Drivers

James Milligan lake54 at lake54.com
Mon Jul 27 13:07:08 BST 2009

James Milligan wrote:
> Before you all start hounding me, yes, I do understand that Creative
> sound cards have practically no support in Ubuntu versions prior to
> Karmic (which I'm told does have support for them).
>
> I'll start from the very beginning :-)
>
> Fresh install of 9.04
> Installed Display Driver (nVidia 180)
> Updated System (is there a way to get a log of what updates I installed?)
> Tried Creative Driver Guide
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870001)
>
> OK, when I get to the sudo make install step (it's the very last one),
> it 'completes' it in my eyes, as it then shows me a new line ready to
> start typing a new command in.
>
> The computer locks up after say 2-3 seconds, stays frozen for about 5
> seconds, then hard reboots.
>
> It's obviously to do with the fact that I've just installed the Creative
> drivers (which don't work upon the reboot, they don't appear). So, is it
> something that can be fixed and perhaps allow me to get my soundcard
> working, or is it because of the fact that it is the sound card having
> incompatibilities?
>
> The sound card has recently been very dodgy in Windows itself, and
> that's why I swapped to Ubuntu (the sound didn't work on my previous
> installation of 8.10 > 9.04). I'm hoping it isn't the card itself, but
> if it is then I guess I'll have to accept it :-)
>
> Some more specs and info:
>
> http://community.clantigercommunity.com/topic/rig-my-gaming-rig-28/1#p57
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/234464/
>
> I think that that's everything, but obviously shout at me if I missed
> something out.
>
> If I'd be better off waiting for 9.10 to arrive, then I guess I'll be
> happy with that for now.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Oh last thing - I remember a thread on here fairly recently about
> syncing an iPhone/iPod Touch through VirtualBox (XP) - did someone
> mention you had to have a binary package or something from the main
> site? I assume that that means I just download the Ubuntu package rather
> than the open source version? Thanks!
>
> James Milligan
I knew I'd forget something!

Having a look in the Log File Viewer (syslog), I think that this is the
last line just before it crashes.

mesh-desktop-ubuntu console-kit-daemon[2612]: WARNING: Couldn't read
/proc/2611/environ: Failed to open file '/proc/2611/environ': No such
file or directory

Hope that helps somewhat.

James