[ubuntu-uk] Creative Drivers

James Milligan lake54 at lake54.com
Mon Jul 27 13:03:52 BST 2009

Before you all start hounding me, yes, I do understand that Creative
sound cards have practically no support in Ubuntu versions prior to
Karmic (which I'm told does have support for them).

I'll start from the very beginning :-)

Fresh install of 9.04
Installed Display Driver (nVidia 180)
Updated System (is there a way to get a log of what updates I installed?)
Tried Creative Driver Guide
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870001)

OK, when I get to the sudo make install step (it's the very last one),
it 'completes' it in my eyes, as it then shows me a new line ready to
start typing a new command in.

The computer locks up after say 2-3 seconds, stays frozen for about 5
seconds, then hard reboots.

It's obviously to do with the fact that I've just installed the Creative
drivers (which don't work upon the reboot, they don't appear). So, is it
something that can be fixed and perhaps allow me to get my soundcard
working, or is it because of the fact that it is the sound card having
incompatibilities?

The sound card has recently been very dodgy in Windows itself, and
that's why I swapped to Ubuntu (the sound didn't work on my previous
installation of 8.10 > 9.04). I'm hoping it isn't the card itself, but
if it is then I guess I'll have to accept it :-)

Some more specs and info:

http://community.clantigercommunity.com/topic/rig-my-gaming-rig-28/1#p57

http://paste.ubuntu.com/234464/

I think that that's everything, but obviously shout at me if I missed
something out.

If I'd be better off waiting for 9.10 to arrive, then I guess I'll be
happy with that for now.

Thanks for the help!

Oh last thing - I remember a thread on here fairly recently about
syncing an iPhone/iPod Touch through VirtualBox (XP) - did someone
mention you had to have a binary package or something from the main
site? I assume that that means I just download the Ubuntu package rather
than the open source version? Thanks!

James Milligan