[ubuntu-uk] Remote support was Sad but true? From the Register

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 17 15:11:24 GMT 2009

Johnathon, et al,

In your post from Thursday you mention you have OpenVPN installed to provide
remote access etc.

In Rob's case he doesn't appear against this but worried about connections
to his own private network.

Do you know if you can set up an OpenVPN server on a hosting site, no direct
connection to home network, but then either SSH to the OpenVPN server and
thence onto the client, or through some VNC equivilant?

About a year or two ago, discussions were held here about providing some
sort of support package from the UK loco, but got bogged down for one reason
or another.  This idea of setting up a hosted VPN server could be a way to
provide the remote support that we were finding difficult to arrange.

I briefly looked at OpenVPN  quite some time ago for remote access to my
brother's Windlows laptop as he was having lots of various problems - it
went puff before I got any further with the idea.

Anyone fancy trying to set up such a project to see if it both works and is
workable?

Maybe set up a server at someones place for testing purposes, and if all
works well there see if those nice people at Bitfolk, or whoever does the
podcast mirrors, could loan us an account for a period of time whilst trials
go on?  Or maybe a bit of space on a Cononical server?

If all works out, extend the server capabilities to host an iPBX and a CRM
(Customer Relationship Management) tool like SugarCRM, I think, and an
instant Ubuntu Support Service is formed.  Now if you really wanted to get
onto the bandwagon, get a duplicate setup in the States, Europe and
elsewhere connected together and hey presto!  something that no one else has
but is cost effective and a real boon to the Community.  Hmm, better stop
there, beginning to go the realms of fantasy!

It'd certainly make things a lot easier to do as there wouldn't be problems
with security, bandwidth or such like.

Discuss!

Ian