[ubuntu-uk] Remote support was Sad but true? From the Register

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 10:59:07 GMT 2009

On 16/01/2009 01:25, Simon Wears wrote:
> My family run Windows XP. I'll have a look into that, thank you for
> the link! Setting it up wouldn't be too difficult, my mum gets how to
> use a computer and is fairly good at fixing them with simple things,
> this is more for the advanced stuff that explaining to her just makes
> her utterly confused.
>
> I recently got myself an iPhone, so I could attempt to use it as a 3G
> modem, possibly. Unfortunately, she isn't running Ubuntu yet, but
> eventually I'll get her to switch. I'm just waiting for Windows to
> kill itself (again) then I can put Ubuntu on it for a week, and she
> can decide if she wants to switch.

You're welcome.  I'd be interested to know if anyone has managed to
remote into an Ubuntu box running on a Vodafone 3G mobile broadband
link.  I have a customer who is currently on Windows (not legit either
by the looks of things) and I have said that they might be worth giving
Ubuntu a try as their existing copy is screwed.  I'm going to loan them
a machine for a week so they can give it a try although it would be
handy if I could connect in remotely.  I'm just not sure what the
options would be.  I'm not keen on the idea of setting up OpenVPN so
they connect into my network, I just wondered if Vodafone give out real
IP addresses and allow certain ports through?

If anyone has any other ideas (or a link to the OpenVPN method) that
would be ideal.

Ta,

Rob