[ubuntu-uk] Sad but true? From the Register

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Thu Jan 15 22:42:26 GMT 2009

She was using a Dell computer with Ubuntu pre-installed. I bought a Dell
laptop recently with Ubuntu pre-installed, and all the things you
mentioned were there already, including Flash. So I reckon that in her
case, her PC would have worked perfectly on the Internet. It may have
been difficult to get it to work with the not-so-great broadband
hardware she has, and if Dell and Verizon both help her with getting
that to work, and explain to her that OpenOffice is compatible with MS
Office files, then she would have been completely able to do what she
wanted.

Unfortunately, she was not given the right advice by Dell, and was not
all that clued-up about computing in general.

Having a PC with Ubuntu installed in theory should be no barrier to
using it for a college course. But sometimes the end-user is the biggest
barrier of all.

There is a real need for better computer education which is not MS-only
in its outlook.

David King