[ubuntu-uk] Sad but true? From the Register

George McLachlan george at designateonline.com
Thu Jan 15 22:48:46 GMT 2009

> [2] It's a completely Flash-driven site, when Ubuntu doesn't include
> Flash. This is a political decision - I've been debating it recently
> on Ubuntu-sounder, in fact. The sad reality is that because of the
> Ubuntu project's determination to ship only Free software, excluding
> drivers, when Ubuntu comes out of the box, it's crippled.

 I know those pesky Ubuntu people with their morals and ethics. I have never
had Ubuntu come out of the box "crippled" as you put it. Sure it may be
missing a few things, but installation of these items, if you desire then
and I don't, are easy.

> This is again a problem with Ubuntu, but it's a deliberately-chosen
> one, and I'm not sure if anything can be done about it.

    It's more than that it is what Ubuntu stands for.

> But whatever the issue was, by just making unhelpful mocking comments,
> you're not contributing. As the saying goes, if you're not part of the
> solution, you're part of the problem...

   Your solution seems to be to include non-free software because it is
convenient.

George