[ubuntu-uk] Hooking up a machine running Ubuntu to a Mark 1, BT HomeHub

Rowan rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 17:51:06 GMT 2009

Obviously, the laptop does not have an IP address from the Home Hub. It
cannot see the Home Hub, nor can the Home Hub see it. This is the point.
You also say:
"many of the white HomeHubs have myriad problems. The new black ones are
much more reliable."
This statement appears to be contradicted by other users, in that we
find on a cursory browsing such online comments as this: "One of the
more popular alternative operating systems forcing its way onto the
market is the Linux <http://www.ciao.co.uk/sr/q-linux> system. This very
basic operating system has been round for years but has become very
popular this year after the launch of hundreds of super small computers
<http://www.ciao.co.uk/Computers_5220723_1> on the market. The wonder of
Linux is that it launches the PC
<http://www.ciao.co.uk/Computers_5220723_1> almost instantly. I
purchased a mini computer <http://www.ciao.co.uk/sr/q-mini+computer> for
my partner a few months back, as she is currently studying and needed
something smaller than a Laptop computer
<http://www.ciao.co.uk/sr/q-laptop+computer>. While on the original Home
Hub the PC worked fine, with this new version I was unable to get the
computer <http://www.ciao.co.uk/Computers_5220723_1> to connect to it,
not via Wi-Fi <http://www.ciao.co.uk/sr/q-wi+fi> anyway. When I rang
<http://www.ciao.co.uk/sr/q-rang> BT I was told that "At this time,
Linux or similar systems are not supported by the new hub!" ... The sad
fact of life for me was that greed was not good, in order to get my new
funky hub I had to part with my old trusty white one, sacrificing signal
distance and the ability to use a Linux PC. So to conclude, my advice is
simple, despite sleek appearances the new hub at this moment in time is
very much something to avoid. If you're sick of your white hub, look at
it with hatred no more, instead turn round and give it a big kiss, it is
your friend."
http://www.ciao.co.uk/BT_Home_Hub_v2_0__Review_5791725