[ubuntu-uk] Buying a Acer Notebook.....

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 14:07:44 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 13:56 +0000, John wrote:
> I finally found a relatively cheap notebook with what seems like good
> specs, and was wondering what people though of it. The only thing it
> hasnt got is a dvd/cd player. I cant even find one that has. If
> anybody knows of a notebook that has one can they let me know?
>
> The specs are
>
> Acer Aspire One A150-Aw Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 512MB DDR2
> RAM, 120GB HD
> with a
>

> Kingston Technology 1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 SODIMM
> Insert as an extra, the whole package costs £200.
>
> I wondered if that was a good deal, also I wondered how easy it would
> be to install Ubuntu on it. As it doesnt have a dvd/cd player, would
> Ubuntu work on it, and how would I install it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> John

There are a couple of issues with Ubuntu on the acer all relatively
minor https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L should give you an
idea.  It's easy to install you just use create a usb startup disc under
system admin on your ubuntu system with the cd in the machine.

My 110 is running almost flawlessly.  Hope that helps.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk