[ubuntu-uk] update failure

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:10:51 BST 2008

2008/10/22 Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net>

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> > 2008/10/22 Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net>:
> >> Thanks for clearing that up - is there an argument that the update
> >> process should be more clever than that, as I'd guess it'd put off
> >> "newbies"... ?
> >>

> > There's a compelling argument that "newbies" should _not_ run the
> > development version of Ubuntu.
>
> Fair point, Al... fair point...
>
> But would the same sort of issues not arise with a production one?  I
> guess the rate of updates would be less, but surely there's no reason
> why somebody might not ignore the "updates available" icon for a
> couple of weeks to find that there's been 3 security patches or
> whatever and the one they originally were told they needed had been
> superceded?
>
> Or does the process work differently with alphas and betas?
>
> Sean

The package lists are updated via a daily cron job, so this shouldn't happen
in most cases. However, I think there might still be a very small window of
opportunity for it to happen for somebody who gets notified that updates are
available, ignores it and then leaves their machine unpowered for a couple
of weeks, then comes back and immediately tries to update before the package
lists have had a chance to be updated again.

Looking through the packages you had problems with, and taking
gnome-control-center as an example - this was updated twice in a single day
very recently.

Cheers
Chris