[ubuntu-uk] update failure

Darren Mansell darren at vcoc.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 11:08:10 BST 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:55:07 +0100, "Sean Miller" <sean at seanmiller.net>
wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Chris Coulson
> <chrisccoulson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Those 404 errors look quite normal for packages that are being updated
>> multiple times in rapid succession. What has happened is that your
>> package
>> lists were updated, indicating new versions of some packages were
>> available.
>> Some of these packages have then since been updated again since your
>> package
>> lists were updated, rendering your package lists out of date and causing
>> the
>> 404 errors that you see (because the versions of the packages you are
>> trying
>> to upgrade to have been superseded).
>
> Ah, okay... so my problem was ignoring the updates for a few days
> then?  Must admit that I have been busy and my internet connection is
> not that quick so I've tended to update every few days rather than
> every day!
>
> Thanks for clearing that up - is there an argument that the update
> process should be more clever than that, as I'd guess it'd put off
> "newbies"... ?
>
> Sean

There are loads of updates every day for Intrepid at the moment as it nears
release. You always have to apt-get update before installing/upgrading any
packages.

If its been 15 mins since I last did an update I'll do it again at the
moment.

The newbie way to do updates is through the GUI, it should take care of
updating the package lists before downloading packages. Using apt-get on
the command line assumes you will use it how you want to, e.g. not updating
the package lists unless you want to.