[ubuntu-uk] update failure

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed Oct 22 10:58:50 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> 2008/10/22 Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net>:
>> Thanks for clearing that up - is there an argument that the update
>> process should be more clever than that, as I'd guess it'd put off
>> "newbies"... ?
>>

> There's a compelling argument that "newbies" should _not_ run the
> development version of Ubuntu.

Fair point, Al... fair point...

But would the same sort of issues not arise with a production one?  I
guess the rate of updates would be less, but surely there's no reason
why somebody might not ignore the "updates available" icon for a
couple of weeks to find that there's been 3 security patches or
whatever and the one they originally were told they needed had been
superceded?

Or does the process work differently with alphas and betas?

Sean