[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Intrepid 8.10 Kubuntu - disaster

gav revford at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 18:43:46 GMT 2008

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 05:55:46PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> I thought this was a matter of course for most operating systems,  wait
> a while,  see if there any major issues then upgrade, of course if
> everyone did that we would not identify issues, perhaps also as
> advocates we should install out selves and be able to fix issues before
> giving copies away to users to just want it to work and not worry about
> fixing stuff that much.

I've never really had this before, but I went from Windows 95 where there
was no option of downloading updates to Slackware that is for the most part
bullet proof if a bit savage by today's standards.

Ubuntu is the first OS I've used that takes a release-on-time, fix-later
approach.  It's a bit spooky really, it seemed to work perfectly until the
releases this year.

But that said, Ubuntu really is the simplest, cleanest and most complete
OS for new Linux users so it's what I give to switchers.

> its a difficult one to call but it looks far better on us if we are told
> by a user of a problem and we know how to fix it quickly,  rathar than
> having to explain why a simple thing like disc eject is not working
> properly.

The eject thing is really embarrassing.  The drive on my machine can't close
automagically so I've not seen it, but it's a shamefully silly fault.

--
Gav Ford
revford at blueyonder.co.uk
http://revford.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
I think we need to:  Vent the secondary EPS resistor