[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Intrepid 8.10 Kubuntu - disaster

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 9 12:57:47 GMT 2008

I think we've actually got three different types of user to accommodate.

Those who will upgrade pre release, those who will upgrade at the release
date, and those who will upgrade a period of time into the release.

The first type are normally done by those who have a bit of savvy in dealing
with the breakages and bugs that appear as part of the pre release cycle -
techies if you will.

The release day people are those who like to be at the leading edge, but
either don't have the time, or maybe the inclination to go into the apps to
sort out problems, and have a moderate expectation of it just working from
the release.

The last group of upgraders are those who want to have the latest release,
but don't want the hassles with the release day problems.  It is this last
group of people that I don't think are well catered for at the moment in new
CD images - non LTS releases of course.  Yes I'm aware that of course by
upgradeing you will get all the packages that will address the release day
bugs, but this download can be quite large and time consuming.

Perhaps what should be suggested is a re-base of the CD image some 3 - 4
weeks into a cycle to mop up all the fixes and squashed bugs that have
become apparent since release?  This would then give us a better platform to
give to whomever, and we'd be safer in the knowledge that it'd just work -
well better than some of the experiences described here earlier.

I haven't looked at Brainstorm yet to see if this is floating about there
already.

Would anyone else like to comment on the thought of such a post release
update and the expectations as to what it should actually contain?

Ian

Ian