[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Intrepid 8.10 Kubuntu - disaster

steve macstevejb at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 10:23:22 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 18:06 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> 2008/11/8 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
> > Sean Miller wrote:
> >  > We now seem to have a relatively stable system for him, but I've told
> >> him to leave NVDIA graphics out for the time being.  That REALLY
> >> screws everything.
> >>

> > Ahh so I'm not the only one to think this then?
> >
> > When I upgrade I'll be most probably going back to an ATI X300 video card.
> >

> I have two machines with Nvidia cards in. A laptop with a 6800Go and a
> desktop with twin 7900GTs. I have zero problems upgrading these days.
> I stick to the general recommendation to use only the binary driver
> from the repository, and not from the nvidia website, and not using
> any helper applications (envy / automatix / ultimatix).
>
> Just works here.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

There are issues in Intrepid with Nvidia drivers for legacy Nvidia
graphics cards, however, Nvidia has recently released a new beta driver
for the 96 series which has just made it into the intrepid repositories.

Might I refer you to Albert Milone's blog at:

http://albertomilone.com/wordpress/

and also bug #251107 at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-96/+bug/251107

for further information in this respect.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Steve