[ubuntu-uk] How to sync Liferea on two PCs

LeeGroups mailgroups at varga.co.uk
Sat May 31 18:41:08 BST 2008

>> If you've got a network drive mounted you can put a link to somewhere
>> on it in place of the ~/.liferea folder and then the different
>> machines will share the same profile...<snip>...
>> ...I should point out that I haven't tried this so keep a copy of the
>> directory safe to put it back if it doesn't work.
>>

> I wondered about this, and your suggestion prompted me to try it.
> Sadly, it didn't work:  Liferea simply didn't open (despite seeming to
> spend a short while thinking about starting).  And the 'rsync' method
> recommended by John and Stuart hasn't worked for me either.
>
> I suspect the cause of my difficulties may at least in part be that my
> NAS drive is formatted FAT32, and therefore does not transfer ownerships
> and permissions;  and, worse yet, I have a different user name on the
> household's main desktop from the one I use on my laptop and my other
> machines.
>
> All in all, I think I'm pushing it a bit to hope Liferea wouldn't mind
> this level of scrambling!  So when I tried to rsync the profile from the
> network to my laptop, I wasn't all that surprised that I'd lost the
> folder structure, and many of the feeds seemed to be missing.
>
> As I said in an earlier post, my experience of running Thunderbird on
> all of my computers from a profile on the NAS led me to hope I could get
> Liferea to do the same;  but I guess Liferea may be a bit more fussy,
> and my set up isn't conducive to a simple work around. :-(
>
> I may do some experiments with a usb drive formatted ext3;  but I think
> I'll leave things as they are for now.  Many thanks to everyone who's
> giving advice and suggestions.

Rsync shouldn't mess up the folder structure, I use it to do backups of
my photos, and there are 1,000's of them in hundreds of folders.
I'd guess that you've got a dodgy option in there somewhere.
If the permissions are getting lost, why not just reset them when you've
rsync'ed the files back to the local drive.

Lee