[ubuntu-uk] How to sync Liferea on two PCs

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Sat May 31 18:22:07 BST 2008

Robert McWilliam wrote:
> If you've got a network drive mounted you can put a link to somewhere
> on it in place of the ~/.liferea folder and then the different
> machines will share the same profile...<snip>...
> ...I should point out that I haven't tried this so keep a copy of the
> directory safe to put it back if it doesn't work.

I wondered about this, and your suggestion prompted me to try it.
Sadly, it didn't work:  Liferea simply didn't open (despite seeming to
spend a short while thinking about starting).  And the 'rsync' method
recommended by John and Stuart hasn't worked for me either.

I suspect the cause of my difficulties may at least in part be that my
NAS drive is formatted FAT32, and therefore does not transfer ownerships
and permissions;  and, worse yet, I have a different user name on the
household's main desktop from the one I use on my laptop and my other
machines.

All in all, I think I'm pushing it a bit to hope Liferea wouldn't mind
this level of scrambling!  So when I tried to rsync the profile from the
network to my laptop, I wasn't all that surprised that I'd lost the
folder structure, and many of the feeds seemed to be missing.

As I said in an earlier post, my experience of running Thunderbird on
all of my computers from a profile on the NAS led me to hope I could get
Liferea to do the same;  but I guess Liferea may be a bit more fussy,
and my set up isn't conducive to a simple work around. :-(

I may do some experiments with a usb drive formatted ext3;  but I think
I'll leave things as they are for now.  Many thanks to everyone who's
giving advice and suggestions.

Mac