[ubuntu-uk] KlamAV and AV in general

LeeGroups mailgroups at varga.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 20:53:25 GMT 2008

>     Hi
>
>     I've just installed KlamAV on my KUbuntu Laptop, just to have a
>     look at
>     it. It's virus definition database is huge - ie, windows targeted
>     viruses.
>
>     It it worthwhile having KlamAV/ClamAV, or any anti-virus on an Ubuntu
>     (or any *nix) desktop?
>
>     later
>     Michael
>

> K/Clam AV is very useful for scanning for viruses on windows networks,
> like in emails when they come through the server... Otherwise I
> wouldnt say there was a threat to your machine if you dont have an AV,
> but it is nice for scannign windows based network shared and if you
> were to share the C:\ of a windows machine you could scan it from the
> network using a samba mount...
>
> <mailto:kris at softdel.net>
If you're sharing a C:\ drive, you've got to be stark starting mad...
That's soooo bad XP even warns you NOT to do it...

KlamAV/ClamAV/ClamAVis/etc are primarily aimed at Linux mail/file
servers, so that can scan stuff as it's passing through.
Running Ubuntu on your laptop, there's really not much point running
Clam on it...
The same goes for a firewall really, all unused ports are shut by
default on a standard install.
This may change over the next few years, as the low life starts to
target our new OS of choice, but in the mean time, rest easy...