[ubuntu-uk] KlamAV and AV in general

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:32:13 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Michael Holloway <
michael at thedarkwinter.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just installed KlamAV on my KUbuntu Laptop, just to have a look at
> it. It's virus definition database is huge - ie, windows targeted
> viruses.
>
> It it worthwhile having KlamAV/ClamAV, or any anti-virus on an Ubuntu
> (or any *nix) desktop?
>
> later
> Michael
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

K/Clam AV is very useful for scanning for viruses on windows networks, like
in emails when they come through the server... Otherwise I wouldnt say there
was a threat to your machine if you dont have an AV, but it is nice for
scannign windows based network shared and if you were to share the C:\ of a
windows machine you could scan it from the network using a samba mount...
--
Kris Douglas
     Softdel Limited Hosting Services
     Mail: kris at softdel.net