[ubuntu-uk] KlamAV and AV in general

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:01:26 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:53 PM, LeeGroups <mailgroups at varga.co.uk> wrote:

> >     Hi
> >
> >     I've just installed KlamAV on my KUbuntu Laptop, just to have a
> >     look at
> >     it. It's virus definition database is huge - ie, windows targeted
> >     viruses.
> >
> >     It it worthwhile having KlamAV/ClamAV, or any anti-virus on an
> Ubuntu
> >     (or any *nix) desktop?
> >
> >     later
> >     Michael
> >

> > K/Clam AV is very useful for scanning for viruses on windows networks,
> > like in emails when they come through the server... Otherwise I
> > wouldnt say there was a threat to your machine if you dont have an AV,
> > but it is nice for scannign windows based network shared and if you
> > were to share the C:\ of a windows machine you could scan it from the
> > network using a samba mount...
> >
> > <mailto:kris at softdel.net>
> If you're sharing a C:\ drive, you've got to be stark starting mad...
> That's soooo bad XP even warns you NOT to do it...

I totally agree...  But when you can control the way people can access it,
its not too bad, eg, having a password on it.

I do this in a local network with only my machines, and I don't recommend
you do it otherwise (like in a public environment / office).

--
Kris Douglas
     Softdel Limited Hosting Services
     Mail: kris at softdel.net