[ubuntu-uk] Mobile internet proxy

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Feb 19 18:32:54 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 05:39:18PM +0000, Chris Rowson wrote:
> I image that three are blocking that particular site either because a)
> it allows people to defeat existing content filtering because it is a
> proxy or b) because it is designed to reduce the data transfer
> required when browsing the web from a mobile phone (and they won't
> want that).

"never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidiy"

When "Be" first implemented this they (allegedly) used the rather crude
method of turning the specific URLs provided by the IWF provided into IP
address. The effect of this is that completely innocent sites which reside
on the same IP as "dodgy" sites were blocked along with the bad stuff.

Cheers,
Al.