[ubuntu-uk] [OT] - MS XP Pro OEM CD - How?

Tom Bamford tom at entrepreneuria.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 23:19:33 GMT 2008

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:52:46PM +0000, Tom Bamford wrote:
>> You're right, any OEM install disc will do as long as you have valid
>> license stickers/serial numbers. I use a mastered ISO which has every
>> version of XP in both OEM and retail flavours on the one CD. One of
>> these should do the job:
>>
>> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+xp+9+in+1+torrent
>>

> I'd really rather we didn't promote software piracy on this list. Whatever
> the status and legality of the license the fact is that using bittorrent in
> this way means you are _sharing_ the (copyrighted) software that you are
> downloading. You will notice that the vast majority of legal threats have
> been thrown at people who are sharing content, as such I don't think we
> should advocate either downloading or sharing of copyrighted software,
> whatever the source.
>
> Thanks,
> Al.

My apologies, I wouldn't encourage anyone to run unlicensed commercial
software, though there is an arguable legal difference between the
distribution medium and the license. It won't do you any good to
download and install this anyway unless you have a valid unique license
key, MS product activation will see to it that your system completely
disables itself if you run unlicensed for over 30 days.

Tom