[ubuntu-uk] Mega Slow Bootup

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Sat Feb 2 14:50:29 GMT 2008

Tony Arnold wrote:
> Stephen
>
> Stephen Garton wrote:
>> Morning All,
>>
>> I've also posted to my blog, but I would appreciate it if someone
>> could take a look at a bootchart image from today, and hazard a guess
>> as to why my computer takes (metaphorically) 3 days to boot?
>>
>> http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk/images/gutsy-20080202-1.png
>>
>> Image is fairly large, so apologies! It looks like modprobe & udev are
>> taking the time, but I have no idea how to find out why, so guidance
>> would be appreciated!
>
> Remove the package evms with your favourite package manager.

Hello, Stephen and Tony.

I think Tony is right, but LVM problems might just be a symptom of the
underlying trouble, not the cause. Modprobe is in i/o wait state while
"vol_id" is probing your disks, looking for volume labels. If there are
read errors on a faulty hard disk, for example, it can take a long time
for the kernel drivers to give up. Have you run any disk diagnostics?

Another possibility is that you might have corrupted partition tables
and/or you are waiting for non-existent UUID's to be discovered. The
fstab entries in Gutsy now use UUID's instead of device names and these
UUID's are intended to be persistent across changes to the BIOS-derived
device names caused by adding/removing disks.

BTW, Thanks for introducing me to bootchart :-)

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687