[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Commercial Support

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 16:28:31 BST 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 1:57 PM, James Mansion <james at mansionfamily.plus.com>
wrote:

> Chris Rowson wrote:
> > If I had 10 servers I wouldn't pay $27,500 for email/telephone support
> > covering only the operating system.
> >
> I suspect that if you knew what the inside of a datacentre looked like,
> you'd feel differently

I work in an organisation which has a deployed base of probably 400 or so
servers as a senior technician. I have some idea about what a datacentre
looks like.

If memory serves me correctly, complete server support from an organisation
like Hewlett Packard with on site engineer response for hardware faults
(includes parts) costs about $900 or so post warranty. That's why I
suggested a price of $2,750 seemed pricey for OS (and as Al says repo)
support over the telephone.

Having got that out of the way, I'll thank you all for your input. As Alan
suggests I'll email Canonical and ask for costings.

Chris