[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Commercial Support

James Mansion james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Sun Apr 13 13:57:37 BST 2008

Chris Rowson wrote:
> If I had 10 servers I wouldn't pay $27,500 for email/telephone support
> covering only the operating system.

I suspect that if you knew what the inside of a datacentre looked like,
you'd feel differently

The sad fact of the matter is that Windows is not an expensive system
by  the time its
supported, and Linux is not the cheapest if you buy from a vendor that's
likely to stay
in business (or that isn't just the guy down the road hoping he's
dealing with someone
that needs a bit of admin help and no more)..

20 years ago or so (when anyone gave a monkeys about SGI, Sequent, Data
General etc)
the joke was - and still is - Open (Wallet) Standards.

These days things HAVE changed - if you want an 'enterprise' OS with
cheap support,
you buy from Sun.

Whether ANY of these companies have a support offering that is worth the
money is a
different matter, but if you're going to get uppity about paying a
market rate for support,
then just remember that the alternative is straightforward - you pay in
cash for the software
up front.