[ubuntu-uk] apt-get distupgrade (to gutsy)

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 12 11:13:07 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 10:31 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 10:03 +0100, Pete Stean wrote:
> > Can I suggest that you put your /home (where you have all your work
> > and play files) on a separate physical partition or indeed on a
> > separate disk from the main os
>
> I agree. I only recently started doing this with one machine, and it
> makes it so much more flexible. The machine in question has gone Feisty
> -> Gutsy -> Feisty -> Gutsy -> Feisty with the same home directory, no
> loss of files and all my settings retained. I'll do all my machines like
> this from now on. I gave 10G to root (/), some for swap, and the rest
> for /home.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

I second this,  I find this solution great for dual booting stable and
unstable.  In this case, if an update caused Gutsy to stop functioning -
I could revert to Feisty until a fix is made available.

I suggested a minimal "/" and the bulk for "/home" to somebody a few
months ago, and he had the argument that making them separate "Wasn't
right for everybody".  I'm not sure I can see how... but anyway - it
makes me happy.  Infact, I would really like to see the default
installation follow this - as it makes a clean install _much_ easier.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker