[ubuntu-uk] apt-get distupgrade (to gutsy)

Michael Holloway michael at thedarkwinter.com
Fri Oct 12 10:42:05 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 10:31 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 10:03 +0100, Pete Stean wrote:
> > Can I suggest that you put your /home (where you have all your work
> > and play files) on a separate physical partition or indeed on a
> > separate disk from the main os
>
> I agree. I only recently started doing this with one machine, and it
> makes it so much more flexible. The machine in question has gone Feisty
> -> Gutsy -> Feisty -> Gutsy -> Feisty with the same home directory, no
> loss of files and all my settings retained. I'll do all my machines like
> this from now on. I gave 10G to root (/), some for swap, and the rest
> for /home.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Well i've got 80GB / and 80GB /home

I'm more worried about Alan's 5th machine syndrome. I remember
installing Beta Feisty on my desktop, and the Kernel panicked on boot...
wasn't until final release that the kernel was happy. And while my data
"should" be perfectly safe in "/home"... its all the other things that
are a mission (fstab mounting samba, ssh authorized_keys - having to
resync with other machines etc.) and it takes a day when you are
reverting to feisty.

That said... i don't think i can wait another week :)

Also, i would never to a dist-upgrade on a production server, if
something goes wrong... that's really not cool!!! I just run LTS on all
my servers.