[ubuntu-uk] apt-get distupgrade (to gutsy)

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 12 13:12:46 BST 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 11:13:07AM +0100, Dave Walker wrote:
> I suggested a minimal "/" and the bulk for "/home" to somebody a few
> months ago, and he had the argument that making them separate "Wasn't
> right for everybody".  I'm not sure I can see how... but anyway - it
> makes me happy.  Infact, I would really like to see the default
> installation follow this - as it makes a clean install _much_ easier.

This suggestion comes up quite frequently, but the problem is that a
novice will have no idea how much space to allocate to each; there is
enough variation that there's no one suggestion we can make which would
be good for everyone. If they get it wrong it's a real pain in the arse
to change, requiring expert help.

I would much rather improve support for reinstalling while preserving
/home, which is on the agenda for Ubuntu 8.04 (though it's early days
and that's not a promise!). That would take care of the main root
problem without creating a rod for our own backs further down the line.

Cheers,