[ubuntu-uk] getting help

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 14:43:42 GMT 2007

On 29/01/07, Robin Menneer <robinmenneer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Caroline
> Sorry for your troubles.  Just looked up LUG for West Cornwall only to find
> that there is no active group in Devon, let alone Cornwall, let alone West
> Cornwall.  If all these experts really want Ubuntu to take off, they must
> realise that ivory towers exist in all walks of life.  Location is not so
> important as someone who is prepared to sit on the end of the phone for an
> hour or two talking for free in words of one syllable to a thick and
> desparate idiot on the other end.  And happy to start with:  "Have you
> plugged in to the mains ?"  Then and separately: "Is it switched on ?"
> Perhaps some national roster so that someone's available all the time, with
> fall-backs if busy.
> Regards
> Robin

Regarding Devon and Cornwall, try www.dclug.org.uk. Don't know why you
couldn't find them on the lug website, but I just found it in Linux
Format. I think someone who's involved with the Devon and Cornwall LUG
is on this list too.

I think the big difference between having phone support and someone
available in person is for the sort of problem Caroline (the Original
Poster) was having, where a machine won't even boot. It's much easier
being able to see the messages rather than having them described over
the phone... as I know from trying to support my Mum's Windows PCs.

Hwyl,
Neil.