[ubuntu-uk] uploading files ftp

Colin Humphrey c.humphrey_00 at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 19:16:46 GMT 2007

Regards your suggestions I have made a directory with a chmod permission of
777.  Though  I cannot upload to this directory from the winxp machine.

when I use the following:

"put upload"

this is what I get:

"200: Port request successful. Consider using PASV.
553: Could not create file."

[What does this mean?]

--

I wonder if the command I'm using from c: prompt in winxp is incorrect.

When I connect to the ftp server from the winxp machine, I connect using
generic user account of "ftp" with a random e-mail address for a password:

after this I use "ls -l" to see what's there which shows [porc] the
directory which I created and the one text document I created.

After this I use "ls -l [porc]" to list the contents of porc.

Then after verifying porc is empty I try to upload the file named, "upload"
[which is sitting on the winxp machine in <windir>/documents and
settings/colin] with the following command, "put upload".

Is this the correct command?  Has it got anything to do with the fact that
/var/ftp/porc and /home/ftp/porc are at different locations?

The permissions shown in the contents of /home/ftp are:

total 8
drwxr-xr-x- 2 root root 4096 2007-01-01 18:26 [porc]
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     7 2007-01-01 16:31 send to