[ubuntu-uk] uploading files ftp

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Mon Jan 1 16:30:38 GMT 2007

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:20:51 +0000
"Colin Humphrey" <c.humphrey_00 at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> "when I attempted mkdir I received this"
>
> mkdir: cannot create directory '[/var/ftp/upload]' no such file or
> directory

This one is from mkdir trying to create the upload dir in /var/ftp/ and
finding that /var/ftp/ doesn't exist. The -p flag to mkdir tells it to
make parents as required giving:

mkdir -p /var/ftp/upload

> --
>
> "when I attempted chmod I received this"
>
> chmod: missing operand after '777/var/ftp/upload'

This looks like a missing space between the 777 and the /var so chmod
is treating the whole thing as one operand and not finding enough
operands to do anything (not that it would be able to set permissions
to '777/var/ftp/upload' anyway...)

Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

program, n:
	A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's
	input into error messages. tr.v. To engage in a pastime
	similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer
	oppertunities for reward.