[ubuntu-uk] A GUI Grub editor?

Andrew Black (delete obvious bit) andrew-07a at mail.black1.org.uk
Wed Feb 28 11:24:24 GMT 2007

I am quite technical and in general prefer hacking text files rather than GUI
editors.

But I find Grub scary.  Partly that I know that if I get it wrong I have a
nasty unbooting machine (does grup mean Get wRong and machins is UnBootable).

If find the file created by debian/ ubuntu really hard to understand.  I am
not sure whether the issue is
 - the file is complicated per se
 - the version created by the installer is too general/ complex

I am not sure what the answer is but
 - from my techy perspective I would like to take the file apart and
understand/ simplify it (on a machine that doesnt matter too much if I loose
it for a day!)
 - from a more general perspective some form of GUI would be a good idea.

A parallel - the oreilly book on apache security suggests that you throw away
the all singing / dancing config generated by whatever distribution you have
and construct one you understand.

--
Andrew Black
London