[ubuntu-uk] start up problems

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 08:23:36 GMT 2007

On 26/02/07, ged byrom <ged.byrom at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> gord wrote:
> > are you sure its ubuntu/linux that is not working here? might it be the
> > bios?
> > you could remove the usplash symlink in your /etc/RC0.d/ directory to
> > stop usplash (the loading screen) to just get a normal text output but
> > be sure to backup anything you start messing with :)
> >
> [snip]
> I have tried to look in the boot log but it tells me --"The file
> '/var/log/boot.log' does not exist."
> I consider myself to be a novice, I'm just not frightened of rooting
> about where I shouldn't.
> My graphics card is an ati 8500 all in wonder and the usb stick is an
> msi-us54g.
> I'll have to do some studying to remove the symlink because I don't know
> what one is.
>             Thanks for the help
>                                              Ged

Hi Ged,

Rooting around your system is the best way to learn - especially if
you break something and don't have a backup! :-)

A symlink is like a Windows shortcut, but better. It's a special file
that points to another place on the filesystem (file or directory),
but unlike Windows most commands access the pointed-to file rather
than the symlink (unless you tell them not to). In Windows, only
Explorer reliably honours the symlink.
You can remove one with the rm command in a terminal, or just by
deleting it in Nautilus/Konqueror/whatever file manager you use. rm is
one of the few commands that by default references the symlink rather
than the pointed-to file (but you can swap behaviour with a
command-line option).

HTH

Hwyl,
Neil.