[ubuntu-uk] gkismet deb

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 24 00:19:04 GMT 2007

baza wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 23:23 +0000, Caroline Ford wrote:
>
>> baza wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, does anyone know where I can get a deb of gkismet (the gui for
>>> kismet)?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> Baz
>>>

>> Kismet does come with a graphical interface - albeit a curses one rather
>> than gtk.
>>
>> Caroline
>>

> Hmm.. I'm having all sorts of problems getting it to work. My Wifi card
> is on ra0. But when I put that as packet sauce it seems not to like it.
>
> No gui starts when I type sudo kismet, just a few lines in the terminal
> then it ends, due to the capture sauce problem.
>
> Any help would be welcome.
>
> Baz

Kismet comes in two bits - server and gui. It runs the gui bit once the
server is running. Kismet doesn't work with all wifi cards - the README
(on it's web site and also (I think) in /usr/local/share/docs) tells you
which cards it works with. If you look at the web site make sure you get
the readme for the version of kismet you're using which won't be the
current one (there was a new one just before xmas I think)

Kismet is hard to set up - the file is kismet.conf which I think will be
in /etc somewhere. The docs are complicated and you need to read them.

If you just want a net stumbler type program then try Simple Wireless
Scanner - it's a kde prog and it'll install some extra libs if you're
running gnome - but it's simple and easy. Kismet is a pro security tool
with all the power and hassle you'd imagine. However I still reckon it's
the best wifi tool out there - if you get it working.

Caroline