[ubuntu-uk] gimp

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 9 00:17:02 GMT 2007

London School of Puppetry wrote:

> On 06/02/07, Caroline Ford <caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
> <mailto:caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>  If you are running with kde libraries installed I'd recommend krita the
>  kde bitmap editor as well.
>
> I really think the gimp is being oversold by the community in general.
> It is very badly designed and doesn't do 32 bit colour. The lack of 32
>  bit colour led to the development of cinepaint, and the design problems
>  are notorious. I read an online lecture on usability and all the
> examples of bad practice came from the gimp..
>
>  The gimp is nothing like photoshop - sorry. I think we should aim high
>  but photoshop is far superior. I've never used paintshop pro but it's
>  not industry standard - it's for home users. The industry standard is
>  photoshop. The gimp *can* do some things if you know how - but often not
>  as well. The filters in particular are really gimmicky - it feels like
>  it was designed for computer scientists not artists. </rant>
>
> One thing we really need is an equivalent of poser - i can't think of a
>  program I'd recommend for people wanting to do animations for something
>  such as second life. Poser makes those sort of things relatively easy.
>
>  Krita is using gimp format brushes which I think is a really positive
>  step towards making a free software standard. Photoshop compatibility is
>  pretty much the closed source standard. I currently make free content
>  for tuxpaint and I'm pondering making content for the gimp now that
>  better programs are using its standards too.
>
>  Apparently filters for the gimp don't work across versions (unlike
>  photoshop which has an api i think as other programs can use photoshop
>  filters.) This may explain how poor most gimp filters are - based on
>  maths not art, or so it seems. KDE are making a cross application
>  standard for plugins which feels really positive. The kde graphics
>  people seem to have really picked up all the problems with the gimp.
>  Some people seem to treat the gimp as an iconic free software program -
>  i think many of these people have never used anything better. I *know*
>  we can do better than that - it's a real bugbear of mine!
>
>  Caroline (secretlondon)
>
> I have been told that my computer is too slow to use gimp effectively.
> What kind of power should I be looking at to run some of the
> programmes you have been discussing here?
>
> Caroline lsp
What speed is your computer? If your computer is too slow to run the
gimp then maybe you'd be better off running Xubuntu  rather than
Ubuntu.  (Xubuntu uses Xfce rather than gnome and is designed for older
hardware). However I think Xubuntu includes the gimp..

If you are short of RAM (not Mhz) you should probably avoid running
Krita or Digikam under Ubuntu.

Bah - it's confusing! The whole thing collectively is generally known as
Ubuntu - *and* the main variant is also called Ubuntu! Ubuntu's sisters
are called Kubuntu (with kde rather than gnome), xubuntu (with xfce
rather than gnome), and edubuntu (designed specifically for education)

Edubuntu (which is a type of ubuntu - the confusion!) uses gnome and has
some kde libraries installed as it includes the kde edutainment package.

To make things easier! How fast and how much RAM does your computer
have? Are you running edubuntu or ubuntu itself?

Caroline (secretlondon)