[ubuntu-uk] Completely off topic

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 7 10:08:28 GMT 2007

On 07/02/07, Martin Castle <Marshcast at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> this is a paste from the mail sent to me:
Ah how dedicated you are, it must have taken you ages to copy and
paste what someone else wrote.

> UK ROAD TAX Dear all, Have done this, it's very easy. We have nothing to
> lose by trying - if you don't want Tony Gordon to have all our money
> because we drive a car or bike, then please at least sign up - This is the
> official #10 petition site.
I thought bikes didn't pay road tax?

> The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having
> to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to
> use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by
> the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for
> a delivery driver.
Both of those are examples of commercial use of the road, surely they
should be paying a lot more?

> A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in
> one month.

She could have walked maybe? Most people do not live that far away from school.
It would of course be much safer to walk if there where less cars, or
less drivers who are too dangerous to be on the road, (I have lost
count of the number of times I have been endangered by incompetent
drivers)

> On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked.
> Somebody will know where you are at all times.
Its a personal device you have to carry? I thought it was in the car,
or are you physically attached to your motor vehicle. It will know
where the car is, not you.

An interesting point, will the police have live access to this data,
i.e. if you car gets stolen can you phone the police and they will
know where it is?

> They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you
> accidentally creep over a speed limit* you can expect and additional fine
> with your monthly bill.

So you are annoyed they are enforcing the law? Maybe you should
protest against speed limits?

> This is not limited to speeding. They also know where parking restrictions
> etc are located. And you!

Again you are saying you object to an enforcement of the law, surely
you should be campaigning against the existence of the law, i.e.
against parking restrictions.

> There are over 30million vehicles and drivers in this country. Just to
> register 3% of those against this proposal there needs to be 900k signed
> up! and the closing date is 20/02/07. Did you know about this?

No I didn't know about it, now I do, and still won't be signing it.
Did you know if pollution continues the way it is, that the polar
icecaps could melt, and UK cities could flood. It could also increase
extreme weather, (incidentally weather warnings are in effect,
freezing temperatures and snow).

Its high time we held drivers accountable for the actions.

Anyone know if they are using free software for this venture? or how
secure the system is, is it prone to tampering? (how long till someone
hacks the system and has Apache running on it :D, maybe they could
have a new version of Ubuntu, Carbuntu, for your onboard tracking
system?)

Andy