[ubuntu-uk] gimp

Scrase, Eddie escrase.uk at Wentworthlabs.com
Wed Feb 7 09:21:57 GMT 2007

> I'm the more confused.  You both seem to say that I can use KDE software
> on Gnome (ubuntu) if I go  to a lot of trouble (and knowledge that I lack)
> to make  it work.  Or am I just  not understanding the issues.  What I
want,
> in the ideal situation, is a list of software, as in ADD/REMOVE with a
> summary of its functions, that I can double-click to load and run
properly.
> Someone in this conversation recommended digikam but when I looked at it
it
> was for KDE.

It's pretty much your ideal situation.  You can run KDE applications on
Gnome without any trouble - It's simply a matter of adding the applications
using Add/Remove (just like any other piece of software).  For example, I'm
running Ubuntu (Gnome) but as I can't live without the KDE music player
amaroK (at least until Exaile! is more mature), I have installed amaroK
using Add/Remote and it runs fine.

However, (and didn't you just knew that there was a but coming next!) there
are two things to bare in mind when running KDE applications on Gnome:

1. The look and feel of the application won't be the same as a native Gnome
applications. This normally shouldn't be a problem, and the applications
themselves are perfectly usable.

2. Because they have to load the KDE libraries, they will generally more
memory hungry that the Gnome equivalents.

I hope this is of some help/reassurance to you (because I'm aware that I'm
just restating what has previously been posted).