[ubuntu-uk] DELL w/Ubuntu available in the UK

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Aug 8 15:14:08 BST 2007

Pete Stean wrote:
> alan, cost is not an issue for me either - I wasn't really arguing
> for myself when I talked about the identical pricing. What I was
> thinking about was how could I possibly convince a friend or
> relative who has a vague interest in running linux to buy the
> linux-loaded Dell when they see that the vista machine is exactly
> the same price (and they know that Vista is worth "something" in
> monetary terms, but also that ubuntu is "free"). I can just predict
> how that conversation would go - Jo Public buys on *price* not on
> principles. Thus I can't see these linux Dells flying off the
> shelves, and therefore Dell assuming that there is little interest,
> when in fact there is but they just can't see it

Accepted yes. I have found that people around me are influenced by
what they see me do and by what I say. The various people who are
using linux because of me directly have had it installed by me (!) and
have based their trust in what they know of me. Their alternative is
to find another 'advisor' (friend or family member, FOFM), or to trust
the retail shop.

Money is important I fully agree, and particularly for the uninformed
and uncommitted. I do not think the Dell moves will directly influence
uninformed people, but they will notice that an alternative suddenly
exists. And yes they would take notice more quickly if there was a
price drop. But this is a first step in a marketing process - visibility.

Some of my friends will in the future want a dell ubuntu PC. Some will
still want me to create a dual boot PC. IF Dell are offering the same
as single boot, it will make it much easier to get the possibility
accepted.

I think Dell believe there is significant interest (profit) in linux.
Micheal Dell bought into some Linux companies a few years ago I think,
but his ventures were moderated (so I heard) apparently by the
association with MS whereby Del was not prohibited from selling linux
but were restrained from -promoting- it. The cleverness in the
existing situation is that a user ideas forum has done the promoting
itself! The line Dell is consistently taking is that this venture is
customer led. No dell *promotion*. Which hopefully will tread the fine
line they have to move along commercially.

I think it would be a bad situation if by some means the Dell ubuntu
PCs were very much cheaper just now because if a lot of uninformed
purchases occurred, linux would get bad publicity from helpless users
who could not get support from their neighbours. The commercial
pressures Dell are under encourage a slow start, and this also allows
the community, including FOFM's, to adjust and support, I hope. :-)
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391