[ubuntu-uk] DELL w/Ubuntu available in the UK

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 8 12:36:02 BST 2007

alan, cost is not an issue for me either - I wasn't really arguing for
myself when I talked about the identical pricing. What I was thinking about
was how could I possibly convince a friend or relative who has a vague
interest in running linux to buy the linux-loaded Dell when they see that
the vista machine is exactly the same price (and they know that Vista is
worth "something" in monetary terms, but also that ubuntu is "free"). I can
just predict how that conversation would go - Jo Public buys on *price* not
on principles. Thus I can't see these linux Dells flying off the shelves,
and therefore Dell assuming that there is little interest, when in fact
there is but they just can't see it

Pete