[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Team Approval (LUGs)

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 29 12:49:28 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 11:19 +0000, alan c wrote:
> LUGs will do what they want, usually distro neutral. They do not owe
> much, if anything to Ubuntu. I am in two adopted LUGs, and Ubuntu. For
> advocacy one LUG is highly active, the other not. If either LUG wanted
> Ubuntu resource I would be keen to help, and I might hear about this
> need informally in the LUG or centrally from Ubuntu maybe.
>
> With my LUG hat on, I would not expect to pressure the LUG into Ubuntu
> stuff. With my Ubuntu hat on, I will be proactive for Ubuntu locally
> (and nationally) while informing the Lug/s if appropriate or maybe
> invite collaboration for certain events.

The other important point here is that it is not our responsibility to
get failing LUGs working. We are not here to make the LUG community
work, that is their responsibility, but we *are* here to augment that
community and work together where possible. I think we need to clearly
identify the objectives of LUGs and the objective of Ubuntu UK and then
we can move forward.

I get the impression that everyone here is broadly in agreement with
what to do, and I would appreciate it if some of you could flesh out
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoWorkingWithOtherGroups with some basic and
(probably obvious) details about the best way to work with other groups.
The first few paragraphs should be that we are *not* here to compete and
overthrow other groups. :)

	Jono
--
Jono Bacon