[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Team Approval.

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Oct 29 09:10:02 GMT 2006

Alan,

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 08:42 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:

> Agreed. Whilst I am of the opinion that many LUGs in the UK could
> really do with some invigoration, we (Ubuntu-*) need to be careful not to
> over-do the Ubuntu side of things. LUGs pre-date Ubuntu and Ubuntu-UK by
> some considerable margin, they have many hundreds of members in the UK and
> many of them are quite active whether we (Ubuntu-*) are there or not. We
> (Ubuntu-*) need to be careful not to "take over", "muscle in", or in any way
> make them feel that they have to use Ubuntu whilst at the same time help to
> invigorate and stimulate growth in those LUGs.

I quite agree. A while ago there was talk of 'joining forces' with the
LUGs in some manner without taking them over. Given the objectives of
Ubuntu-UK and the LUGs are quite different, I really don't see how that
can work. However, being a separate entity and then working with the
LUGs in a symbiotic relationship I think can work.

My own LUG is very active and doesn't need any invigoration, but they
would welcome Ubuntu related activities at some of their meetings. I'm
sure there are members there who would reciprocate and help out with
Ubuntu-UK activities. A straw pole at a recent meeting showed about two
thirds of the members used Ubuntu. There were about 30 people there.

I guess what we need to do is to turn these ideas into concrete
activities, but maybe that will become clearer when know just what
Ubuntu-UK is going to be doing over the next 12 months or so.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold