[ubuntu-uk] Help: Firefox, RealPlayer, and a headset

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Oct 26 00:21:17 BST 2006

On 10/10/06, South Walney Information Management <info at swimbarrow.co.uk>
wrote:

> A supplementary question:  When I'm frustrated I like to play Freeciv
> with myself - there's something profoundly cathartic about sending a
> flotilla of ironclads against Houston and they make satisfying bangs.
> At least, they do when it's working properly, and it worked just fine
> when I was running under Mandiva 2006.  Alas, I can't seem to coax any
> kind of noises out of Freeciv under Dapper, whether through the speakers
> or the headset!

I believe there's an issue with licensing for the freeciv sounds which
prevents Debian and hence Ubuntu from being able to distribute them legally
(or at least distributing them according to policy).  You can download them
separately from:

ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/sounds/sets/

and put them in:

/usr/share/games/freeciv/stdsounds/

Or running this command should work:

wget -qO -
ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/sounds/sets/stdsounds3.tar.gz | \
  tar xzf - -C /tmp/ && \
  sudo cp -r /tmp/data/stdsounds* /usr/share/games/freeciv/

Pete