[ubuntu-uk] Where do 'normal' UK Ubunteros cluster?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 17:50:28 BST 2006

Hi Caroline,

> Email is ideal if you have access to the address at work, and have an
> always on internet connection.

(As an aside, I've only dial-up access, and a 33.6kpbs modem at that.
Email's much preferably to interactive web access.)

> Complaints about top-posting etc make me wonder who we are targeting.
> Only long-term geeks care about such things - and yet the point of
> Ubuntu is to bring linux to the un-converted, to 'normal' people. Our
> target groups will use HTML mail, web mail and won't care about old
> mailing list and usenet netiquette.

I take offense at that.  I've not complained before.  I'm happy that
this list will have a high proportion of users new to Unix and unaware
of netiquette.  Consequently I happily put up with having to read a
couple of lines top-posted out of context and then searching through the
60 lines of quoted email to build the context.  I delight in searching
through many quoted lines looking for the one line of new text.

But when others are complaining that they find the mailing list hard to
read then perhaps it shows that netiquette evolved for a reason and that
it shouldn't be "Only long-term geeks" that care about it.  Some geek
didn't sit down one day and say we'll write like this so non-geeks stand
out.  It evolved as a convention to make the medium easier to read at
volume.  Consequently, perhaps if a writer, newcomer or not, tried to
follow it and have a little more consideration for the many readers, the
list would be an easier read.

For those that don't know what we're talking about, Wikipedia has a
little intro.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

Cheers,

Ralph.