[ubuntu-uk] Re: Support points

Mark Van den Borre mvdborre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 21:00:27 BST 2006

On 6/15/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> * Grant:
> > Very well said Mark, I couldn't have got anywhere near as close as that.
> > You make a really compelling argument as to why we need support points on
> > the website.  I would appreciate it if the UK project head for the website
> > could get this sorted for us so I can put the support points site up.
> >
> > If he doesn't want to do it, I am happy to nominate Mark as our website team
> > manager, he obviously knows how to do it right, and his experience would be
> > really useful for us.
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid someone from ubuntu-uk should tackle that. I
only temporarily subscribed to this list because I suspected some
interest in our successful map project.

> Grant, the point being made isn't that a website might not be useful,
> but simply that there is no point creating something like this before we
> have collected any names.
>
> Let's work on collecting some support volunteers first, then we can
> think about doing something ambitious like creating a website for it.
> You need to walk before you can run.
I like a minimalist approach just as much as you.

I started with one simple page with a map and a minimum of explanatory
text outside ubuntu-be.org. I talked some free software friends into
participating, months before the Dapper release. The map was clearly
labeled "preproduction". When it gained enough support, I made it the
center of ubuntu-be.org.

Maybe you could start a map without too much pressure, on your
personal site, or in a corner of ubuntu-uk.org labeled "playground" or
something?

Mark
--
Mark Van den Borre