[ubuntu-uk] Running commands from bash in an xterm when logging-in (to X session)?

David M lists2005 at viewport.ukfsn.org
Thu Oct 20 15:19:04 CDT 2005

Please excuse my ignorance here, but there are so many startup files and
so many caveats as to which gets run in which circumstances, that I'm
confused.

I login graphically which starts up an X session for me, which, amongst
other things, starts up a number of xterminal windows (gnome-terminal,
fwiw) for me.

I'd like, when I login, for one of these terminals to run some commands
automatically. I know these would go in some kind of login file (eg, the
more-obviously-entitled-than-some .login, in some cases), but I don't
know which.

My terminal windows are running bash.
Does anybody know which file I need to edit in this case?

--
--|  David M. -- [en, fr, (de)] --  |  reply-to email is valid <365d,  |
--|  Edinburgh, Scotland.           |  but reply-to-list preferred     |